Problem: Overuse of antimicrobials in aquaculture (Pangasius, 1.8 billion Euro market in 2017)
- Investigating the impact and barriers for replacing antibiotics with vaccines (including economic barriers for farmers)
- Investigating whether it is possible to reduce the number of antimicrobials used in feed, and what legislation could support this.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) – lead
- Study takes a participatory approach with a wide range of stakeholders (fish producers, vaccine companies, feed producers, consumers)
- Evidence that reduced use of antimicrobials in aquaculture is feasible and economical for farmers, and that vaccines are a viable alternative.
- Policy recommendations and changes.